Add to Technorati Favorites expat Abu Dhabi Dispatches: Thailand...Part 1

Monday, November 22, 2010

Thailand...Part 1

I just spent the last few weeks in Thailand. Its a wonderful place but you have to keep your hands on your wallet, The money flows freely there and everyone is after it.

I got a nice business class seat and slept most of the way of the 6 hour flight after a steak sandwich and other goodies. The plane had this cool forward camera.

LEAVING ABU DHABI


A friend of mine was already there and had a room for me. I landed at the airport and got a cab to the hotel and checked into a very nice room at the Grand Business Inn in central Bangkok. This was disturbing in the bathroom though, I had to brush my teeth in the bedroom for fear of bodily harm. This sign was on the bathroom sink.

WTF!!!!!
Anyway, it was a nice room despite the dangerous cabinet. I survived without injury. I had to take a peek and found nothing but some electrical connections way back in the corner of the cabinet. Hardly a fatal situation.

Later, I went to a Buddist temple on the river in Bangkok. I took the very efficient BTS (Bangkok Transit System) overhead train to a dock where I boarded a boat to another dock where I boarded another boat to the temple. The river was very high due to the recent monsoons.
THE BTS

MORE BTS



RIVER BOAT TO TEMPLE


ON THE RIVER


LOCAL BOAT

After awhile, I got to the temple. It was an amazing example of art and architecture. The sculpture was incredible and a real treat to these Western eyes.















While there I got blessed by a Buddist monk. He was an old man adorned in the typical orange cloths and he said a prayer, sprinkled water from a brush over me and gave me a wrist band for good luck. After that my debit card wouldn't work and things just seemed to go wrong. I cut the wrist band off and things got better. Maybe I got a curse, bad Karma?

OUCH!!!
BOOZE CRUISE BANGKOK
Bangkok is an incredible place. Things I enjoyed was the food and the great smells of the city from the street vendors cooking food.The Thais really know how to eat. Everyone seemed happy.

Next....my trip to Koh Chang, an island off the coast of mainland Thailand



4 comments:

Dave said...

Ace, one of my favorite countries.....

I have visited all the places you mention in your blog. But unfortunately I now find myself daydreaming about being back in Thailand and I fear that no further work will be done by me today...

Ace said...

Dave, I feel your pain!! It was kind of depressing to come back here. A land of delights if you know what I mean.

Chuck said...

Sounds like a cool trip, Ace, glad you had fun! I hope to go somewhere international early next year. Probably just to Europe though. I feel AMS calling me back...

Ace said...

AMS is expensive as is the rest of Europe. Thats why I went to Asia.